Saturday, July 14, 2007

A good Saturday


It's been a good day so far. I started out by sleeping in until about 7:30, an unknown luxury for me. Then I spent the morning with my daughter while my wife got some well deserved rest. Once my wife was up, I went to work. I started by weedeating the weeds along our back fenceline (you'd have to have seen the before picture to believe how bad it was) so I could get to the small trees growing right up against the fence. Now, these plants aren't intended to be trees - they just grow that way because we're too lazy to cut them more than every few months. To give you an idea of how bad the weeds are, we had dandelions that were 10 feet tall (no exaggeration) and had stems (STEMS!) that were more than 3/4 inch in diameter. I'm really not kidding.

About midway through



Anyway, so that was a big project. Once the small (5 feet tall) weeds were out of the way, I could get at the 10 foot tall weeds in back. These required my chainsaw. Yay! I like using my chainsaw. Less than 5 minutes later, the trees were all bowing to the supremacy of my rotating blade. It was very much a Tim Taylor moment.

We have one of those giant green yard waste bins on wheels - I think it's 96 gallons. I put all the fallen trees in the bin standing up, and it looked like a giant flower arrangement. Once I cut them all in thirds, our yard waste bin was stuffed full.

There, much better


The trees out of the way, I set out to clean up our Christmas tree. I know, I know. I had already chainsawed it into pieces :) but had left all the branches attached and lying in the yard. Those are all cut into pieces now too, sadly though they were too small for the chainsaw, I had to use hand tools for that. The branches and logs were picked up, and I raked the pine needle carpet into a pile. Finally, I got the lawn mower out, and sucked up as many of the pine needles as I could, and then attacked the fenceline. I love the mower.

So now, I have about half of my fenceline reclaimed, I got to use my chainsaw, and I got some exercise in the process. It was a good day already. But now, we have friends coming over, which will be fun. It's shaping up to be a good evening!

-The Krunchy Krab

No comments: