Thursday, June 14, 2007

One step forward, two steps...

We went to visit some friends tonight who are moving from North Seattle to Camano Island. They have lived in their current house since my wife was born, and so they have a lot of "stuff" that won't fit (space or stylewise) in their new house. So, they invited us over to have a look to see if we wanted anything.

My loot: A standard letter sized envelope, a lawn aerator, a 45 record player, a 2.5 inch long antique iron, and a mini calendar from 1952.

My wife's loot: About 50 Cabbage Patch dolls (the older good kind) with about 12,000 shoes and outfits. BTW, they're all lying naked on our floor right now, my wife apparently decided to undress all of them. She also took about 75 books, a "beaver muff" (I don't even want to know), a honey jar, a miniature crystal creamer, 63 franciscan monk dishes (I've been told several times that they're original), and a serving tray made out of butterfly wings.

Here is my wife with her new dishes surrounding her.
Aren't they pretty? Those monks sure knew what they were doing.

On a somewhat more interesting note, I found a 1954 newspaper from Sao Paulo stuffed inside the back of the butterfly wing tray. Also a Seattle times from 1965.

The best part of it all though, is that these friends can't take their really cool white wood with paned glass sides display cabinet with them. So... we are storing it for them for who knows how long. I can finally take the rest of my cameras out of storage. Oh yeah, and my wife will have some display room as well :) At least she'll have a place to put those dishes.

-The Krunchy Krab

No comments: