Friday, June 06, 2008

The quest, parts 1 through 19

After basketball this week, one of the guys barbecued some pork kabobs for all the guys - there were 11 guys there, so none of us got much, but he had a selection of dipping sauces out. I tried one that turned out to be my new favorite. So, I asked him which grocery store carried that sauce - his response was "Any grocery store". Ha!

Thus began the quest.

On my way home that night, I searched a Safeway, Albertsons, and Fred Meyer. No such luck. Now, to my angst, I had neglected to memorize the brand name of the sauce, only what the sauce was called, and what the bottle looked like (It had a fairly unique color scheme).

Current store count: 3

It was a Thai sauce, so I figured I would have it made when I checked some Asian markets.
The next day, I visited 3 QFCs, 2 more Safeways, another Fred Meyer, Central Market, and Ballard Market.

Current store count: 11

Later that evening, I checked Trader Joe's on my way home and the Ranch 99 market, which is an Asian market (though I didn't know that until I was inside)

Current store count: 13

Finally, I checked Food Emporium, Double D Meats (I REALLY thought I'd find it there -they have every sauce known to man... except this one) and the Asian market near our house. I don't know what the name of it is, because they only have foreign characters on the side of the building. I checked another QFC, and another Fred Meyer.

Current store count: 18

Then came Thursday. Thursday, I discovered that the fates were laughing at my attempts. I went to Gwinn for lunch, and one of the featured entrees was a cold pork salad with... the sauce.

I know now that I'm fighting against something larger than myself.

So, I gave up. I'm going to present my findings to this guy, and ask again at what store I can buy this sauce. AND, I will get the brand name this time.

So why do I say parts 1-19 when I only visited 18 stores? Well, this evening I went to Central Market with my daughter and bought some sauce with the same title, from a different manufacturer. I've been craving it all week.

Craving satisfied. I like this sauce just as much as the original. Problem solved, quest complete.

-The Krunchy Krab

No comments: